Thursday, June 6, 2013

What else.



The view of our front yard from the roof.
That wide, bright green strip of sunlight is where I envision our veggie garden. It gets a solid 6 hours of sun everyday, maybe more.
   While I was up there, I removed the satellite dish and whatever type of antennae was up there. I'm sure it has a name, but it's a wild comb of aluminum spears. Maybe it makes a cool bean trellis one day. 
   I also got my first good look at the chimney. The situation is pretty rough, with cracked flue tiles and a cap that was never constructed correctly. 
Wood
And oil.


Of maybe the most interest is the aluminum flashing under the lead, which drains under the most recent application of rolled roofing material... Here is the Cricket, if you can call it that on this super shallow roof.

This level of work and/or neglect is unfortunately everywhere you look.
 
This last photo is of the bathroom skylight. It isn't visibly flashed at all. Huh.

Some bright side news: I washed the lamp shade over the kitchen sink; I think I had just assumed that it was frosted glass...
And I came across 3 out of 4 screens for the crank out windows in the kitchen. I guess when the water damage started and the decision was made to caulk them shut with silicone, the screens must have blocked the view. 
Now with the gutters, we can at least have the windows cracked when it's raining!

And oh yea, the mower runs. Major victory. Now all it might need is a couple of new belts! Besides being made in the USA, this might as well be the Volkswagen of push mowers with all it's extraneous systems. Whatever, the price was right!

1love
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment