Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hemlock and Tar

After an early and running start this morning Andy realized he could be more productive if we picked up some additional supplies. So off we went to get a sister beam for between the French doors. Here she is riding home:
Who's driving this crazy Buick?! Oh it's parked. Andy was talking about white oak logs with someone who probably didn't really care when I snapped the top pic.

After hitting up Florence hardware for some additional goods we got a buy one get one free pizza lunch for the drive home. When we returned home I quickly started wiggling our belongings into more or less the places where they might live and then volunteered myself or an awful, awful job: applying tar coating to the foundation that my family had helped expose last weekend. This is what we are working with here:

It's the worst. The absolute worst. The brush kept coming undone and holes I had filled with the stuff kept reappearing. A real test of mental and physical strength this job. I hate even writing about it. It's not slower than molasses up a hill in January to me anymore. It's slower than tar on a foundation wall in June. 

 
It's finished now. Andy is hoping to have the French doors reinstalled today or tomorrow. I am glad to be able to do jobs like this one that don't require a carpenters brain. My body is much better suited for the organizing in home though. So back to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment